[thelist] Managing URL wrap in email

Chris W. Parker cparker at swatgear.com
Thu Sep 4 18:07:46 CDT 2003

John Corry <mailto:john at neoncowboy.com>

<http://www.jacobliberman.com/maillist/maillist.php?action=confirm&email
=me@
> mydomain.net&conf=045e2>

[snip]

> What can I do to ensure this is universally (or nearly universally)
> usable by everyone?

Nothing. This topic comes up every once in a while and it's been decided
(as far as I'm concerned) that there is nothing you can do except change
the url.

Have you considered using mod_rewrite for this? Your long link could
change into something like:

http://jacobliberman.com/mail/confirm/me@mydomain.net/045e2

That is well below the line length of any client I'm sure. If it's still
too long... then... well... that person doesn't deserve to use the
internet. ;)

hth,
Chris.