[thelist] mod_gzip -- what are the drawbacks?

Joshua Olson joshua at waetech.com
Thu Sep 4 22:33:03 CDT 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Timothy J. Luoma" <luomat at operamail.com>
Sent: Thursday, September 04, 2003 9:40 PM

> The fantabulous WebsiteOptimization Tool[1] suggested that I check out
> mod_gzip.

Timothy,

mod_gzip simply compresses the payload of the outbound HTTP stream if the
requesting client indicates that it can accept it.  Employing gzip may
provide significant savings in terms of bandwidth and overall packet counts.
However, the compression does burden the webserver (on compression) and on
the client (on decompression).  I recommend a simple stress test to
determine if it improves your website... most like it will.

You can check out the following to pre-determine the effects of enabling
compression:

http://www.port80software.com/support/p80tools

Use the "compression check" tool.

Joshua Olson