[thelist] Staring in ASP.NET

Pat Meeks pmeeks at msn.com
Fri Sep 5 14:01:20 CDT 2003

Walt:

> I am making the switch to .NET. I am not a techy so I need
> simple-from-square-one types of tutoring. Can anyone recommend books for
> ASP.NET for a web designer with a little knowledge of ASP? What do I
> need to learn first? VB.NET or ASP.NET or XML or all of these? What
> should my approach be?

I really liked "ASP.NET for Web Designers" by Ladka from New Riders. It's
shows everything in VB and in C#, and it gave me a good foundation as I'm
not a techy. It also includes the very basic things that programmers assume
every one knows (but non-programmers don't) and explains them in
easy-to-understand ways. For example, it shows you how to compile, something
that I could not figure out how to do even though it's not rocket science.

I also heard that ASP.NET for Dummies is a very good book. These two were
high on the list over at the www.asp.net forums for raw beginners.

HTH, Pat