[thelist] photoshop blending

Thompson, Daniel Daniel.Thompson at fishnetsecurity.com
Fri Sep 5 16:18:54 CDT 2003

> I am playing around with an image and am trying to get the
> middle portion of an image to blend/fade at the edges.

In the layer's palette, you want to use the mask tool.

It's the little circle inside the square (second one over in PS7).
Select your beach layer and then click that button. Once you click this,
you will see a another palette thumbnail appear next to your layer
(should be white).

Make sure you select that thumbnail (you can tell because your colors on
the toolbox should go to black and white). Now, everywhere you paint
black will be hidden, everywhere you paint white will be shown. Grays in
between create an alpha transparency.

The easiest way to do what you want is to use the gradient tool. I
suggest using the one which allows you to go from background to
foreground to background again. Start on at the top of the picture,
click and drag to the bottom (holding shift to get a straight gradient).

Voila!

If you don't like how it falls off, you can change all aspects of the
blacks and white (like any other layer), as well as transform the layer
as a whole. For instance, you can change the brightness of the entire
layer (the mask one-- just black and white) to increase the overall
alpha of the mask.

Make sense?

Have fun!
-Daniel

The information transmitted in this e-mail is intended only for the addressee and may contain confidential and/or privileged material.
Any interception, review, retransmission, dissemination, or other use of, or taking of any action upon this information by persons or entities
other than the intended recipient is prohibited by law and may subject them to criminal or civil liability. If you received this communication
in error, please contact us immediately at 816.421.6611, and delete the communication from any computer or network system.