[thelist] Staring in ASP.NET

Ken Schaefer ken at adOpenStatic.com
Fri Sep 5 20:37:36 CDT 2003

I would recommend:
- ASP.Net Unleashed, by Stephen Walther
as the book you probably want to get to get started with, since, for a
single volume, it covers the most ground.

The ASP.Net for Web Designers book may also be worth getting given your
background.

For a development tool, I'd just start with Web Matrix, since that's free,
and you can easily use the single-page model. You can download it for free
from: http://www.asp.net/ That said, using Code-Behind and Visual Studio.Net
is a great way to rapidly build more complex application. However, learning
how Visual Studio.Net works is a bit of a bear if you also need to learn
about ASP.Net and a new language (eg C# or VB.Net) at the same time.

There are a couple of Visual Studio.Net books (Wrox has one which is OK),
and there's also http://www.learnvisualstudio.net

Unlike Daniel, I've found that there's *lots* of great lists and support
groups. Certaily a lot more than for Classic ASP.

www.aspadvice.com has separate lists for different topics
discuss.develop.com (Developmentor) has one, very busy, list covering
ASP.Net

www.asp.net/forums are popular online web-forums if that's your cup of tea.

Cheers
Ken