[thelist] iframe content is lost

Fernando J. Gomez fgomez at criba.edu.ar
Sat Sep 6 10:14:04 CDT 2003

shortestpath <shortestpath at yahoo.com> wrote:

> how is the content for the bottom frame is lost when
> you make it invisble? Add these lines to you page to
> see what happens:

First of all, thanks for your suggestion: I wrote the test page quickly, and
then did not explain very clearly what the problem was, hoping that you
should discover it by inspection...

OK, so now we have this (modified) page:

    http://inmabb.criba.edu.ar/~fg/test-display-none.htm

and the problem is: if I press "DIV2 hide", and then press "DIV2 show", the
content of this 2nd IFRAME is not shown anymore: not even a blank page (try
to see its source code!).

But hiding and showing DIV1 does not affect the content of the 1st IFRAME.

Again, I note that the browser in which I detect this behavior is IE 5.5 (on
Windows ME).

Can you see the problem now?

> By the way, display:none doesn't make an element -invisible-.
> See the 2nd paragraph for the value none at:
> http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS2/visuren.html#propdef-display

Yes; it's only that "invisible" is the word that first comes to my head when
I want to say "not displayed" or "not rendered". Sorry for the lack of
precision.

Fernando

Fernando J. Gómez

Biblioteca Dr. Antonio Monteiro
Instituto de Matemática de Bahía Blanca (CONICET/UNS)
Av. Alem 1253
8000 Bahía Blanca - Argentina