Evolt as RSS Feed (was Re: [thelist] evolt list on gmane?)

Boris Mann boris_mann at sympatico.ca
Sat Sep 6 19:30:09 CDT 2003

On Friday, September 5, 2003, at 11:46 PM, Peter Lowe wrote:

> On Sep 06, Boris Mann wrote:
>> But...I would love to have an RSS feed of the list. My idea is to have
>> the first post of a thread be like a post to a blog, and all replies
>> would be the comments.
>
> Personally I would prefer to have all replies included in the RSS feed:
>
> 	http://pgl.yoyo.org/thelist/rss-1.0.php

This server is not responding for me.

> I'd feel like I'm missing something otherwise - people sometimes reply
> to relatively old posts and I wouldn't see them if I relied on the RSS
> feed (which I probably will end up doing).

Sorry -- I may not have been clear. I was thinking more of the web
interface side of things. I envision
1) a "main" RSS feed that only lists the first post of a thread
2) a chronological-exactly-like-email feed, and
3) per-thread feeds.

As usual, kellan of LaughingMeme has already thought through this
(http://laughingmeme.org/archives/000234.html), including a pointer to:

- Mailman-to-RSS using a Perl script and scraping of archives -->
http://taint.org/mmrss/
- which in turn links to some source-patches to Mailman that will allow
generating of RSS feeds from source

These are of course all ways to do (2), but those other ones were
probably pretty pie-in-the-sky. Unfortunately, this straight
translation of a mailing list into an RSS feed is probably also the
least usable, especially with the volume of traffic here.

Just thinking...

--
Boris Mann
http://www.bmannconsulting.com