[thelist] Linux, Apache, php Help Please

Ron Dorman rwd at csi1st.net
Tue Sep 9 20:08:32 CDT 2003

Anthony Baratta wrote:

> At 08:54 AM 9/9/2003, Ron Dorman wrote:
>
>> Thanks Jay.  Actually had to add it.  Having other problems with
>> sessions accessing the "tmp" directory for session data and my mysql
>> and mssql extensions are not available.  The .so files didn't get
>> installed. I think I may need to re-compile php.
>>
>> Any other thoughts appreciated.
>

> Don't forget to install the development tools part of mySQL. That has
> all the headers and libraries you can link to.
>
> My recommendation with RH 9 is to install all the mySQL parts via RPM,
> and hand compile Apache as DSO, any mods you need and PHP.

That is the path I took. Actually let RH 9 do a full install, then rpm
-e httpd and php (and dependancies), build http and php from tarballs.
Did have to grab the mysql-devel rpm from RH as mentioned and a tarball
of openssl (probably could have gotten RH rpm) for it as well.

Also tarball installed freetds to get mssql native access from php to a
Win2K with SQL 8 server on the intranet. Initial tests show the
php-mssql functions to be available. Seems to be a neat, easy (with in
reason) way to get inter-platform data in a mixed platform invironment.

Ron D.