[thelist] Linux, Apache, php Help Please

Ron Dorman rwd at csi1st.net
Tue Sep 9 20:17:29 CDT 2003

Kevin Martin wrote:

>Ron D. wrote:
>

>>I am building a new test server with RedHat Linux 9, Apache 2.0.47, php
>>4.3.2. I am building the Apache and php from tarballs so I can compile
>>MSSQL support into php. Also need SSL support. I have everything built
>>with no errors.
>>
>>Problem is, when I access the site on the server, I get the php document
>>source displayed instead of the document being rendered as html. Anyone
>>have any pointers or fixes for this situation?
>>

>Ran into a significant difference between Apache 1.x and 2.x.  While I
>could easily include php code in .html files under 1.x, I could not do
>so safely in 2.x.  If I tweaked the config enough to make it interpret
>all .html files through PHP, I got segfaults and dying child processes
>for literally EVERY error line in my error_log.  Most annoying, and I
>finally ended up making my php pages end with .php, and using redirects
>to handle all the legacy .html pages already in the search engines.
>
>More information on my (mis)adventures at http://simpleshop.org/httpdconf.php
>
>If someone has a workaround that will let Apache 2.x execute PHP inline
>in .html files the way 1.x used to, I'd like to hear about it too.

I found many differences as well. Been poking around on this thing for 3
weeks, trying to find the least amount of recompiles needed. Had hoped
that just tarballing php would do it but ran into issues with apxs. The
http-devel from RH said it required http-2.0.44 but the latest rpm from
RH was 2.0.40-21.5. Gave up on a work-around and tarballed http-2.0.47
as well as php-4.3.2, openssl and an rpm for mysql-devel.

Seems to be good at this point. Will inform the list if I find anythng
to be a problem.

Ron D.