[thelist] Help with dmoz

Greg Farries greg at mapleleafweb.com
Wed Sep 10 10:12:41 CDT 2003

Chris Brody wrote:
>> dmoz has to go, its performance is a disgrace.
> Has to go where? Sure, it needs investment and better management, but
> bad performance is not an argument against the value of the
> directory's data, which is peerless IMO.

Dmoz's poor performance isn't a recent phenomena and if it continues I would
assume people will start to pull the plug on the whole process - regardless
of the value of the directory's data.

>> For non-profit/non-commercial submissions, I find Zeal to be
>> excellent.
> I have to disagree. I wasn't aware of Zeal, but at first glance it
> has a long way to go to begin to compare with the breadth and depth
> of dmoz.

That may be the case, but I was commenting from the position of the
submitter.  The ROI when submitting to Zeal far outweighs fighting the
timeouts and extremely slow response time of the Dmoz.  But again, Zeal
isn't available for submitters who choose to submit their sites to the
commercial categories - it's for non-profits/non-commercial.  Looksmart
covers the commercial side.

Who exactly (major players) uses the dmoz other than google?  Far as I'm
concerned, just get your site listed once with dmoz (to help with pagerank
on google) and then forget about it.

Greg Farries
Project Manager
http://mapleleafweb.com