[thelist] changing password design

Tony Crockford tonyc at boldfish.co.uk
Fri Sep 12 05:11:19 CDT 2003

On Fri, 12 Sep 2003 11:51:37 +0200, Marek Kilimajer
<kilimajer at webglobe.sk> wrote:

> Tony Crockford wrote:
>
>> usual approach to this is to store another secret (or two) such as
>> pet's name, mothers maiden name etc which they are required to enter to
>> get a new password; even a user generated question and answer pair if
>> needed - what's my favorite food - brussel sprouts
>
> It is the same as using these kind of information for password. So you
> can tell the users to use it for password right away. Not very secure.

What is secure?

The harder you make it for me to remember my login the more likely I am to
write it down.

e.g.  my bank now requires me to log-in using all of these:

account number
memorable information (1 of 3 phrases)
three random digits from my pass number

I'm going to have to write it down to see which are  the random numbers!

All I meant was that if you had a second test for identity before allowing
a password change it has to be better than not having a second test?

--
http://www.xebit.net/

Sent with M2, Opera's revolutionary e-mail client:
https://secure.bmtmicro.com/opera/buy-opera.html?AID=627923