[thelist] PHP on earthlink not working

Roger Harness magic32 at jps.net
Fri Sep 12 23:42:18 CDT 2003

'Volters,

I'm taking a beginning PHP class, and I'm just trying to implement some of
the stuff on the website I work on for my boss. Unfortunately, the site is
hosted by Earthlink. And I can't seem to get *any* php to work, even though
they say they support PHP on all their hosting packages, and it should work
fine.

I'm just trying to echo something to the screen:

<?php
echo "hello world";
?>

I emailed them a few times, and these are the responses.

Thank you for contacting us.

We understand that you have problems with the php scripts you have uploaded.

In order to resolve the issue, I suggest you to place all the .php scripts
in the CGI folder.

Hope the above information will resolve the issue. If the issue persists,
please get back to us. We will be happy to assist you.

Krishi K.
Electronic  Support

AND

Dear Roger,

Thank you for contacting us.

We understand that you have uploaded the php script but receiving the error
message when you check it through browser.

I found that the permissions you have set to the php script is read only ,
hence you have problem with running the script. In order to resolve the
issue, I suggest you to login into Control center --> File manager --> click
on CGI fodler --> Click on permissions of the file. Change the file
permissions.

Again, I'm fairly new to PHP, but those kinds of permissions don't even need
to be set, do they? And PHP files shouldn't have to be placed int the CGI
bin, right?

Anyways, I did as they suggested, and still no luck. I am still trying to
get help from earthlink support, but in the meantime, I just figured i'd ask
you smart folks. Maybe I'm just missing something really silly? (other then
letting my boss use earthlink as a host :)

as always, tia!

-Roger Harness