[thelist] SVG authoring

Joel Konkle-Parker jjk3 at msstate.edu
Sat Sep 13 18:04:55 CDT 2003

I know some about XML, but almost nothing about SVG. I'm interested in using it
as an alternative to Flash on my web site. I'm mostly interested in small
animations, but I like the open standard nature of SVG and the ability to
harmonize with other XML on my site. It seems to me I need three different things:

1. An SVG plugin

  As far as I can see, there's two major options: Adobe SVG Viewer 3.0 or Corel
SVG Viewer 2.1. Which does a better job of accurately rendering a given SVG
document?

2. An SVG authoring tool

  I'm looking for something that will do animation and will generally provide a
somewhat faithful alternative to Flash. Free would be nice, but I'm not averse
to paying for something small (less than $100).

3. A teaching tool

  Does anyone have any recommendation on SVG books? A quick search on Amazon
brings up several, but I have no idea which would benefit me the most.

Thanks in advance for all the help

--
Joel Konkle-Parker
Webmaster [Ballsome.com]