[thelist] SVG authoring

Ryan Tames rytames at telusplanet.net
Sun Sep 14 01:56:49 CDT 2003

On 13 Sep 2003 at 18:04, Joel Konkle-Parker wrote:

[snip]
> 1. An SVG plugin
>
>   As far as I can see, there's two major options: Adobe SVG Viewer 3.0
>   or Corel
> SVG Viewer 2.1. Which does a better job of accurately rendering a
> given SVG document?

I think the Adobe plugin is the most accepteble; though honestly,
for large SVG animations, combined with SMIL, the plugin is slow
as heck.

> 2. An SVG authoring tool
>
>   I'm looking for something that will do animation and will generally
>   provide a
> somewhat faithful alternative to Flash. Free would be nice, but I'm
> not averse to paying for something small (less than $100).

Theres a couple, the only one I've used, is the beta version
of JASC WebDraw. Even though I do not really have much
XML experiences, I would attempt to go about it with hand code;
Though I've been researching my head off - Just need a project to begin
with.

> 3. A teaching tool
>
>   Does anyone have any recommendation on SVG books? A quick search
on
>   Amazon
> brings up several, but I have no idea which would benefit me the most.

Theres a lot of resources on the Net, W3C has some good resources,
as does Zend.

SMIL and SVG are not that hard, they are somewhat vector formats
(as I think of them, and they are, for all intensive application purposes),
but if you have ever coded with VB (for instance), you have what I consider
a fundamental understanding of the descriptive elements such as area,
fill, shapes, curves and what not, and if animating, well, the Premiere, and
Flash timelines and timecode will come in handy. Illustrator knowledge,
and even Flash may help with the mental imagery. Maybe even actionScript
too, just for the textual context side of the two technologies.

Thats just my opinion without actually attempting it.

--
Ryan Tames.

TagaT - Tag Board:http://tagat.tames.2y.net/
Portfolio: http://portfolio.tames.2y.net/
PGP Public key: finger webmaster at tames.2y.net