[thelist] Advice on using Tableless CSS layout for large eCommerce sites?

Steven Loe stevenloe5000 at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 15 17:47:33 CDT 2003

Advice on using Tableless CSS layout for large
eCommerce sites?

WebMonkey and ESPN have gone to tableless CSS layouts
for their sites. I've been asked to make
recommendations for a big eCommerce site --Whether to
go tableless or not. Is anyone else considering
through this or actively doing it at a high volume
ecommerce site?

Here's how I'm looking at it right now:

Upside...
- Easier to maintain and less code, Thus: cost savings
- Much easier/cheaper to customize/rebrand and
personalize the site
- Faster load times
-
-

Downside:
- Will turn away 1%-3% of site users who are using
Netscape 4.x
    [stats say that 4% of our users are using Netscape
4 but we're not convinced that all of them are
actually making purchases. -Working on getting better
numbers].
-
-

Anything else I should be considering?