[thelist] Getting back 3d input borders?

James Aylard evolt at pixelwright.com
Tue Sep 16 10:22:00 CDT 2003

Saila, Craig wrote:

> FWIW, although  system colours will be deprecated in CSS3:
> <http://www.w3.org/TR/2003/CR-css3-color-20030514/#css-system>
> CSS3 will introduce something called "appearance" which allow, with
> one value, the author to specify the users default system's "color,
> font, background, padding, border, and margin":
> http://www.w3.org/TR/2003/WD-css3-ui-20030703/#system

    While I welcome the "appearance" property in CSS3, I don't quite see the
justification for deprecating the system colors. They don't necessarily
serve the same purpose, and based on a cursory look at the two, it doesn't
seem that they conflict.
    In general, since CSS has had a much stricter parentage than its cousin
HTML -- and since there is no CSS doctype equivalent to dictate to the
parser or validator which version to use -- I look far less favorably upon
deprecation in the CSS modules, especially when they unnecessarily disrupt
existing, valid style. Granted, most user agents that render CSS will likely
continue to render system colors, but some may do it only in quirks mode.
    Just expressing my lack of gruntlement, I guess.

James Aylard
evolt at pixelwright.com