[thelist] no MySQL options

Simon Willison cs1spw at bath.ac.uk
Wed Sep 17 04:08:57 CDT 2003

Roger Harness wrote:
> The main site is hosted by Earthlink, and they do not support any type of
> database.
>
> I have my own stuff hosted on a server that *does* support MySQL/etc. I had
> originally asked if it was possible to set it up so that a script on the
> earthlink site could access the database on my site.
>
> Some folks on here told me even if it was possible, it probably wouldn't be
> a very good idea, because of security, and speed issues.
>
> SOOOO...short of switching hosts, does anyone have any suggestions to
> accomplish this?

Why are you keen on avoiding switching hosts? Hosting is a buyer's
market these days - if you shop around you can get an excellent Linux
based hosting package with MySQL, PHP and all the trimmings for a very
low monthly price ($10/month or less is pretty common).

If you really don't want to move, I wouldn't suggest using frames simply
because they will prevent your users from bookmarking items in your site
or accessing the URL for pasting in to emails etc. In my opinion, access
to the URL is far more important than the vanity detail of ensuring your
domain name is in the title bar at all times.

One other option, provided the content you don't need the users to
interact with the content from the database (by searching it for
example), would be to write scripts running on another server that
generate static HTML files from the information in the database then
have an automated script that transfers those generated static files to
your Earthlink server via FTP or SSH. PHP, Python and Perl all have FTP
capabilities. Once written, the script could be set up to run
automatically every 24 hours or so.

The ideal solution though is to simply find another host.

Cheers,

Simon Willison