[thelist] XHTML and CSS

Tony Crockford tonyc at boldfish.co.uk
Thu Sep 18 11:07:54 CDT 2003

On Thu, 18 Sep 2003 16:27:36 +0100, Chris Marsh <chris at ecleanuk.com> wrote:

>> so that unstyled pages (e.g. NN4) come up in a sensible order) e.g. I
>> wanted the nav to appear before the content.
>
> Do you know if this will adversely affect search engine rankings? I was
> under the impression that <h1>Meaningful stuff</h1><p>Meaningful
> stuff</p> as near to the top of the page as possible would potentially
> increase search engine rankings and placing this lower in the page would
> potentially decrease rankings.

LOL!

that explains the high position of "menu Torbay" and "enter Torbay"
searches on google.

Oh well, you win some, you lose some.  It was more important to allow
PDA's and non visual browsers to quickly navigate the site, but point
taken - maybe an <h1> in the document flow before the nav would help....

--
http://www.xebit.net/

Sent with M2, Opera's revolutionary e-mail client:
https://secure.bmtmicro.com/opera/buy-opera.html?AID=627923