[thelist] Removing Microsoft Word special characters

Timothy J. Luoma luomat at operamail.com
Thu Sep 18 12:10:27 CDT 2003

On Thu, 18 Sep 2003 12:44:36 +0100, Bird, Graham <Graham.Bird at rspb.org.uk>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Is there a way to strip "smart" quotes, em dashes and ellipses from Word
> copy? (i.e. all "special" Word characters)

It's easy in UltraEdit.

I just copy the copy (ha ha) and paste into UltraEdit window.

Then I highlight the character that I want to replace such as “ (which
appeared as a double left quote when I was composing this message)

Highlight the character and press CONTROL + R (for Find/Replace) and
UltraEdit will put the Word character in the "find" part, and then I just
put the code I want (such as &#8220;) in the replace.

Run a Replace All.

Repeat as needed.

So it all depends where you are pasting from.  In my experience, UltraEdit
is priceless.

TjL