[thelist] Re: Advisablitity of SSI

Diane Soini dianesoini at earthlink.net
Thu Sep 18 21:24:29 CDT 2003

I use SSI (the traditional .shtml kind as well as the .jsp kind). I am
sure I do it "wrong" but the way I ended up doing it after a lot of
trial and error is like this:

Each page of the site is composed of two pages:
page.shtml
page_content.shtml

And then there is a template.shtml.

page.shtml is the one the visitor calls in the browser. It contains a
few lines of server-side code telling a template page what content file
to include, which navigation (if any) to include, and any other
parameters to pass. page_content.shtml (or whatever the suffix is --
could be .html, .cgi etc) contains the main content of the page.

The template contains the entire page structure with includes of its
own, some of which are variables that are passed to it by page.shtml,
and others that are common, such as the footer or the banner.

It's sort of lame to have two files (page.shtml and page_content.shtml)
for every page. But I learned the hard way after having to edit every
single page in the site many times over because I had done it the
"classic" way I had seen described everywhere. That classic way is to
have a page with a bunch of html and where the banner goes, the footer,
the navigation etc there is an include. Well, every page not only had
the same includes, they had the same skeletal html, so why not just put
all of that in a template page and include the entire thing, telling
the template what includes to include?

The nice thing with jsp is that the page is compiled on the server on
the first request, and after that the server doesn't have to do as much
work. For .shtml I suppose it is more labor intensive for the server,
but nobody has ever complained that my site is too slow.

Diane