html & css aren't programming (WAS: RE: [thelist] Your top timesaving tips?)

Wil Cone wil at inaridesign.com
Thu Sep 18 22:40:44 CDT 2003

Noooo! Not another pedantic "doing X isn't 'real' programming" thread!

Needless to say, I think the black-and-white proclamation that html/css
isn't (real) programming is an oversimplification of a grey area...

The CSS dynamic pseudo-classes :hover, :active, and :focus constitute a
(limited) sequence of operations to be performed by (a browser).

Furthermore, I would argue that by defining visibility, placement,
z-index, etc., you are in essence working out a sequence of (~one-time)
operations to be performed by the browser...

my two cents,

- Wil