[thelist] Removing Microsoft Word special characters

Ken Schaefer ken at adOpenStatic.com
Fri Sep 19 03:05:35 CDT 2003

Why don't you just set the character encoding to Unicode/UTF8? Won't that
then allow you to use those characters without causing validation errors? Or
is my knowledge of these things deficient?

Cheers
Ken

----- Original Message -----
From: "Bird, Graham" <Graham.Bird at rspb.org.uk>
To: <thelist at lists.evolt.org>
Sent: Friday, September 19, 2003 5:50 PM
Subject: Re: [thelist] Removing Microsoft Word special characters

: Hi,
:
: Thanks for the tips on copy and paste but I can see now that didn't
explain
: myself properly. I need to strip the characters without using an
: intermediate application. I want to clean the copy at the server-side and
: present the cleaned copy as HTML. We are using an ASP based CMS.
:
: I cannot find the character codes to match on (in VBScript) in order to
: strip Word smart quotes, m-dashes, ellipses, etc.
:
: Again, apologies for the lack of specifics. Should know better.