[thelist] other browsers

Pete Prodoehl pete.prodoehl at cygnusinteractive.com
Fri Sep 19 15:32:49 CDT 2003

Tom Dell'Aringa wrote:
> --- Simon Willison <cs1spw at bath.ac.uk> wrote:
>
>>Disclaimer: I've never worked for a big company - the above is
>>based on common sense, talks with people who DO work for big
>>companies and reading far too much slashdot ;)
>

> Hehe. Well I have worked at a couple of "big companies" myself. Is IE
> only development vendor lock in? I guess it is. They are big on
> "doing what works". "We know that if we build this thing IE only,
> that it will work with the least amount of problems." That's it in a
> nutshell. That's what they think. While I hate to admit it, there is
> *some* truth to the statement. But the flip side is they gain NO
> benefits from compliant code which is clean, mean and IMHO always
> seems to work better.

I worked at a big company while they were building their intranet. They
thought that it should work using IE5, I thought that it should work in
other browsers as well. They thought it should be designed to work with
an 800x600 resolution monitor only, I thought it should work at any
resolution.

I asked what would happen when new browsers came out that behaved
differently than IE5, or when people got monitors that used 1024x768 as
the default resolution.

They had a bunch of other silly ideas. I don't think any of my ideas
were silly, or unresonable.

Oh, they also choose to use the SilverStream app server... Whatever
happened to them, were they bought by Novell?

Pete