[thelist] book and author names - use the cite tag or span?

Timothy J. Luoma luomat at operamail.com
Sun Sep 21 17:44:47 CDT 2003

On Sun, 21 Sep 2003 22:25:55 +0000, Dunstan Orchard
<dunstan at 1976design.com> wrote:

> If I mention the name of a book and an author in a web page, should I
> have any special tags around the names?

Theoretically probably <cite> although in reality I doubt it matters.

> Example code:

> Emmanuel's Nether Parts, Senor Vivo and the Coca Lord, and The
> Troublesome
> Offspring of Cardinal Guzman, will forever be at the heart of my book
> collection. Their author, Louis de Bernieres, is a ... etc</p>

> If I don't use that, and I want to visually style the names of the
> books, what would people suggest? It seems a little bit mucky to stick

I'm always in favor of a closer fit, so I'd say <cite class="book"> or
<cite class="movie"> or so forth.

But again, in real life, does it matter (i.e. are there any tools that are
going to use <cite> that couldn't adapt to <span>)?  Not that I can think
of.

TjL

--
Flash, Pop Up Windows, Animated Gifs... what did I miss?
"Most Annoying Things on the Web" @