[thelist] thinking of getting new mac

Chris Johnston chris at fuzzylizard.com
Wed Sep 24 21:41:18 CDT 2003

Chris W. Parker wrote:

> Hi.
>
> I'm thinking about getting a new mac (G5) for the office and the one
> question that's come up so far that I haven't been able to answer is
> that of virus protection. I've read about McAfee Virex but I can't find
> any info for it on McAfee's website. Does it come free with OS X or is
> purchased separately or what?

Virus are fairly rare when it comes to Macs. Most virus writters target
Windos machines not because everyone has them, but because they just so
simple to write. As to whether Virex is included, I don't see it listed
under the included software on the apple store website, so I would have
to assume no.

In many ways though, just having a Mac is great protection.

> Also does the Virtual PC software help OS X to better integrate in a
> Windows environment?

OS X 2.2 already integrates amazing well with a Windows environment. You
don't need any additional software. OS X comes preloaded with Samba
which allows you to share files between your mac and any windows machine
on your network with the click of a few buttons. It is also very easy
for your windows machines to access files located on your mac.

Printers are a different story though. They are a little harder to
share, but even this can be dealt with with a little research. Although,
a good network printer is definitely worth the price in a mixed environment.

--
Chris Johnston

chris at fuzzylizard.com
www.fuzzylizard.com