[thelist] thinking of getting new mac

Boris Mann boris at bmannconsulting.com
Thu Sep 25 01:50:32 CDT 2003

On Wednesday, September 24, 2003, at 05:42 PM, Chris W. Parker wrote:

> I'm thinking about getting a new mac (G5) for the office and the one
> question that's come up so far that I haven't been able to answer is
> that of virus protection. I've read about McAfee Virex but I can't find
> any info for it on McAfee's website. Does it come free with OS X or is
> purchased separately or what?

I think you're thinking of .Mac. I believe that price includes some
sort of anti-virus: http://www.mac.com/1/iTour/tour_antivirus.html (but
you can purchase it separately as well).

Also as mentioned, my anecdotal evidence is that I've been using Macs
since the dawn of time, and have had exactly one virus (for which I
downloaded a free tool to scan/clean). I have never run anti-virus
software on any Mac that I own.

> Also does the Virtual PC software help OS X to better integrate in a
> Windows environment?

As mentioned, OS X has pretty much everything built-in to "integrate"
with the Windows environment. VPC is, however, useful if you want to
have Windows98 - XP installed with a double handful of browsers for
testing.

If you need MS Exchange compatibility, the latest version of MS
Entourage (available standalone for $99USD) will hook into your
corporate Exchange server.

--
Boris Mann
http://www.bmannconsulting.com