[thelist] ftp synchronization tool

Tony Crockford tonyc at boldfish.co.uk
Thu Sep 25 11:53:13 CDT 2003

On Thu, 25 Sep 2003 11:51:47 -0300, Sarah <poohbear at designshift.com> wrote:

  [1] if you tick "compare time"

>> what scenario specifically won't it do? because I would recommend it
>> heartily.
>
> Unfortunately, the site I am trying to synchronize has thousands of
> files, in particular one directory which contains about 2500 documents
> which are constantly being added, updated, deleted by the site admins.
> The reason I am looking for an ftp synchronizer is so that I can just do
> the synchronizing automatically, without having to "supervise". My other
> option is to just delete the entire site from the remote server and
> upload it fresh, but I am trying to save time and bandwidth. My main
> goal is to avoid uploading files which are already on the remote server,
> and are the same as those on the local server.
>
> Sarah

So in ftp voyager you'd synch folders - it lists differences between
server and local in two different windows - you hit the remote sync button
- it only uploads files that are not on the remote or are different (older
/ newer) whatever.

if you want to automate it you'd set up a scheduled action to synchronize
the remote folder to your local folder.

The synch action (you can have several)  can take the parameters
previously mentioned - e.g. only upload files that don't exist or are
newer than on the remote.  Is that not what you want?

Or am I missing something fundamental?

;o)

Tony

--
http://www.xebit.net/

Sent with M2, Opera's revolutionary e-mail client:
https://secure.bmtmicro.com/opera/buy-opera.html?AID=627923