[thelist] [SQL] determining if one column contains another?

rudy rudy937 at rogers.com
Mon Sep 29 11:28:26 CDT 2003

> I figure anything I can do with Access I can do with SQL

not completely true

access can do a crosstab query without breaking a sweat

doing that in sql server is like getting a root canal

> but not necessarily vice versa.

yeah, the CASE structure is a lot easier to work with
than the ungainly IIF in access, especially if you start
nesting them

CHARINDEX and PATINDEX in sql server are nicer, too

>...  So I can't do something like,
>
> SELECT Result, RevComment, Comment
> FROM tblResults
> LEFT JOIN libComments
> ON tblResults.RevComment LIKE %libComments.Comment%

pretty close

try this --

    select Result, RevComment, Comment
      from tblResults
    left outer
      join libComments
         on charindex(libComments.Comment
                     ,tblResults.RevComment) > 0

i tested it on the data you gave and it produced this --

    Result RevComment            Comment
    99     Too hot.             Too hot.
    0      Too cold./Too hard.  Too cold.
    0      Too cold./Too hard.  Too hard.