[thelist] MySQL, copy between databases?

Hassan Schroeder hassan at webtuitive.com
Tue Sep 30 18:23:19 CDT 2003

Ken Moore apparently didn't really want this answered after all,
but I realized after I sent it that it might be a useful tip, if
only because I've been up to my lower branches in DB gyrations for
the last week or so... :-)

<tip type="MySQL">

To copy one table to another, even from one MySQL DB to another:
   /* assuming proper permissions on both DBs */

  CREATE TABLE IF NOT EXISTS db2.table2   SELECT * FROM db1.table1

However, be aware that the "IF NOT EXISTS" only applies to the
CREATE TABLE part of the statement; whether it evaluates true or
false, the SELECT will occur.

So, if db2.table2 was previously created and there's a PRIMARY KEY
or other UNIQUE column, MySQL will report an error.

</tip>
Hassan Schroeder ----------------------------- hassan at webtuitive.com

                           dream.  code.