[thelist] Integrating MS Project 2000 with the SQL server 2000

Paul Cowan evolt at funkwit.com
Wed Oct 1 06:01:18 CDT 2003

Stevenson N wrote:
> I have some data stored in my SQL Server 2000 DB.
>
> What i want to do is run a web page that gets the DB data and populates
> MS Project 2000 with this data.
>
> Is it possible?

It's not an efficient thing to be running on a web server, but you can
try looking at using Microsoft Project's out-of-process OLE Automation
Interface.

Some sample VB code can be found here (watch for wrap):
<http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnoffdev/
html/msdn_objguid.asp>

This would require Project to be installed on your web server. Every time
you run such code, the Project .exe will be run on the server, and operate
automatically, more or less.

It's tricky to work with, but all programs in the Office suite (and
related programs, like Project) have such an interface.

Cheers,

Paul