[thelist] text/plain vs IE & Opera

Simon Willison cs1spw at bath.ac.uk
Wed Oct 1 13:21:52 CDT 2003

Marek Kilimajer wrote:

> I want to keep plain text formating of the output, so I send out
> Opera want to download the file. Still if I point the two browsers to a
> .txt file, they display the file as expected.
>
> Am I missing something?

Does the file you are trying to serve as plain text include anything
that looks like HTML? If so, it looks like you're being caught out by
the IE bug/feature[*] whereby it will ignore the content type header and
try to render it anyway.

Cheers,

Simon

[*] - see heated discussion on this list a month or so ago