[thelist] XHTML/CSS Code Review Please

aaron at aaroncole.com aaron at aaroncole.com
Wed Oct 1 14:42:09 CDT 2003

Hello All,

I would really appreciate any constructive feedback regarding some XHTML/CSS I've written for a site I maintain at work.  I have no control over the design, so feedback about colors and UI, while always useful, are not needed.

My goal was to make the code as clean and efficient as possible.  I'm pretty happy with the results, but I would like to see how any of you would have done it differently and why.

Some relative notes:

1.  This code is going to be used to build a template for Commonspot, a CMS we just purchased.  If anyone has had experience with this product let me know.

2.  We only need to support 5+ browsers.  I know it falls apart somewhat in IE5, I can live with that.  The vast majority of our visitors use IE 5.5 and it seems to work fine all of the other modern browsers.

3.  I was hoping to find a way to style <li>s that contain an <a> differently from those that do not, but ended up resorting to a class named "active".  If anyone knows of a better practice, I'm all ears.

XHTML: http://www.azf2k.com/thelist/stanford/
CSS: http://www.azf2k.com/thelist/stanford/css/internal.css

TIA,
Aaron