[thelist] Modules in Access using Linked Tables

Rob Smith rob.smith at THERMON.com
Thu Oct 2 10:05:30 CDT 2003

I need the knowledge of all you Access experts out there, because I'm in a
crunch have no clue how to do this.

We recently copied a mission critical Access 97 database and did a few
things with it. First we copied the tables over to an SQL Server 2k database
and substituted the tables in Access with Linked Tables. Instead of going
into the Access database and changing a record by hand, users will either
have to construct and SQL query to do so or another solution needs devising.
Since most of the users have no clue even to what SQL stands for, the latter
option must be pursued.

The only option that I see to get user supplied information into a
pass-through query is to set up the situation via a Module. The module will
pull the information from a form and insert that data in a dynamically built
sql query. The module will call that query and return some kind of RecordSet
back to the form.

However, all this looks good in theory, I have NO clue how to do all this.
Can anyone help me out? What are the steps? How do I call a function in a
Module via the "click Ok" button? How does the data get interpreted by the
form?

Originally the action item behind the "click ok" button is a query...

Rob Smith
Web Development Manager
Thermon Manufacturing Company
100 Thermon Dr.