[thelist] MYSQL: getting distinct dates from a DATETIME field

rudy rudy937 at rogers.com
Thu Oct 2 22:19:50 CDT 2003

by the way, dunstan, did you get your problem solved?

> > and must the SELECT list contain all the columns in the GROUP BY,
> > or can it contain only some of them?  none of them?
>
> I'm not clear what prompted this question.  Please explain.

   select A,count(*) from foo
   group by A,B

   select count(*) from foo
   group by A

   select A from foo
   group by A,B

these are valid and work, but have limited application

and let's not forget our dear friend

   select count(*) from foo

which shows that you can have an aggregate without a GROUP BY

> Perhaps you mean the people who accidentially utilize the
> extension without understanding why they can select some
> columns but not others?

yes

new mysql users have such a difficult challenge, not only learning sql, but
getting away with non-standard syntax until at some point something they
want to do doesn't work and they don't know why

<rant type="mini">

i was gonna say "shallow learning curve" but i fear that without
explanation, my meaning would not be clear

when people say "steep learning curve" they invariably mean a shallow one

graph progress against time and you'll see what i mean

a steep learning curve involves great progress in a short time --
the opposite of what most people mean when they say it

</rant>