[thelist] scrollable content problems, especially in Netscape

Simon Willison cs1spw at bath.ac.uk
Sat Oct 4 04:57:55 CDT 2003

Jeff Howden wrote:
> * long list of reasons why scrollable content javascript is a bad idea

Here are a few more:

h) Scrollable content won't let me click and drag over text to scroll

i) The scrollable content controls have bad usability, as they don't
work like normal scrollbar controls do (you hover over them to scroll,
whereas with normal scrollbars you click and hold)

j) Scrollable content can't be printed

k) Copying and pasting scrollable content can only be accomplished a
page at a time

l) Scrollable content forces me to scroll at a certain speed which can
be absolutely infuriating, especially if I want to see something at the
bottom of the page. There is no way of quickly jumping down to a part of
the page

That's all I can come up with for the moment. Sorry for the
overwhelmingly negative response but that kind of javascript is one of
my biggest pet hates about web design.

you never know though, if a few more people contribute we might make it
all the way to z ;)

Cheers,

Simon