[thelist] The truth about XML

liorean liorean at f2o.org
Mon Oct 6 04:37:55 CDT 2003

Christopher Joseph wrote:
> Simon Willison wrote:
>> XHTML is a subset of XML, but XML is not a subset of XHTML.
> To show that I am a pedant :) XHTML is an implementation of XML whereas
> HTML was a subset of SGML.

Well, XHTML is an 'application' (feels strange to use that word for it,
but that's the official term) or implementation of XML, that's correct.
HTML is, in a direct analogy however, not a subset of SGML but an
implementation of it.

> The difference is (I believe) that HTML
> initially used part of the vocabulary of SGML but XML as others have
> pointed out is merely the rules by which other vocabularies might be
> defined -> in this case XHTML.

SGML and XML both provide the syntax of the languages, while the
applications themselves, whether DocBook, HTML, XHTML, MathML, SVG or
any other, all provide different gramars and vocabularies that in
conjunction with the SGML/XML syntax makes a language.

See
<http://codingforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=11642#post137228>
for some input on this.

--
liorean <mailto:liorean at user.bip.net>

ViewStyles, ViewScripts, ToggleStyles and GraphicsInfo bookmarklets and
Theme Switcher, Cookies Handler scripts:
<http://liorean.web-graphics.com/>