[thelist] Linux for development?

Beau Hartshorne beau at hartshorne.ca
Wed Oct 8 16:39:54 CDT 2003

I am putting together a hardware list for a Linux box that I plan on
using for development, test hosting, and browser testing. On my list is
something called VMWare. VMWare will allow me to install a copy of
Windows 98 SE (with IE 5 and all of it's quirks), as well as a copy of
Windows XP (with IE 6 and all of it's quirks) that can run
simultaneously under the host operating system.

I will be using Apache virtual hosts to create unique environments for
each site, and plan on setting up Samba to use the machine as a
print/file server for the other machines in the office. A modest
processor, a gig or two of ram, and a big hard drive running Linux
should have no trouble handling all of this at once.

What else could you possibly need for development?

Beau