[thelist] IE update

Ken Schaefer ken at adOpenStatic.com
Wed Oct 8 21:41:16 CDT 2003

From: "Peter-Paul Koch" <gassinaumasis at hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: [thelist] IE update

: >: This is all just too silly (and I mean Microsoft's decisions
: > : here, not the: Canadians).
: >
: >
: >...and your non-silly suggestion is? (seriously, I will pass
: > it on to IE team).
:
: Do nothing, of course. This patent stuff will blow over, too,
: as the patents for gifs, frames, and hyperlinks did.
:
: And if you must react to it, mightn't it be a good idea to replace
: the Flash by a link that leads to a page explaining why the user
: doesn't see Flash?
:
: It's not the best of suggestions, I know, but there is no best
: way to solve this, except ignoring it.

<warning: content heavy in sarcasm following />

Hi Paul,

...and you're going to indemnify Microsoft in case they do need to hand over
the $500-odd million?

It seems that the hundreds of intelligent developers at Microsoft, Apple,
Macromedia, plus their legal teams and marketing people have come up with
this as the "least worst" solution, in response to a legal defeat.

You brand it as "too silly" - and your solution is "do nothing, of course".
How silly of me! Your suggestion is eminently obvious as the preferred
course of action. I would assume that you're offering this advice as an
accomplished Patent lawyer? An expert in the field who can give an informed
opinion on the chance of
Microsoft winning the case (since there is a substantial amount of money
involved here...)

Cheers
Ken

Microsoft MVP - Windows Server (IIS)