[thelist] Re: Compact definition list

Hassan Schroeder hassan at webtuitive.com
Sat Oct 11 17:50:34 CDT 2003

Clive R Sweeney wrote:

> All in all, a nice, semantically correct solution, I think. But there's
> one thing still missing - the extra space between definitions. I could
> try "<br /><br />" after each definition, but that's too much space. I'd
> like to get something more like a "break and a half",

I agree with rudy that adding a presentational tag (<br/>) when
it's not needed is ugly -- if you change your mind about spacing
later, you have to go back and remove them all, rather than just
changing your style sheet, and isn't that much of the point of
using CSS?  :-)

But /with/ CSS, a break-and-a-half is easy --

dt {
     float: left;
     width: 8em;
     font-weight: bold;