[thelist] User permissions, ftp and apache/php

Liam Delahunty ldelahunty at britstream.com
Mon Oct 13 06:02:10 CDT 2003

Simon Wheatley Sent: 13 October 2003 11:26
>I'm wrestling with a new Linux webserver setup. The problem seems to be
>that file permissions reset whenever I upload a new file to the site. I
>have recursively chmod'd the files to 755, when they work fine, but as soon
>as I edit one and re-upload they lose their permissions become
>"rw-r-----"??

>I'm a newbie with Linux, how can I prevent this from happening?

Could it be the settings of your FTP s/w?

But first checkout your new file settings as it could be that your system
insists that all files are 640.

Log into your shell and type the following to see what your default settings
are:

umask (to see as numbers - this is the settings that you take away from
other users), so if it were 002, that would = chmod 775

umask -S (to see as symbols, eg u=rwx,g=rwx,o=rx)

Kind regards,
Liam Delahunty,
Mega Products Limited