[thelist] IE/mac and floats problem

Philippe Wittenbergh phiw at l-c-n.com
Wed Oct 15 22:11:41 CDT 2003

On Thursday, October 16, 2003, at 06:51  AM, s t e f wrote:

> But IE5/Mac does not give the same result at all, it pushes the right
> col to the far right of the window:
> <http://geranium.dyndns.org/cyclades/ie_mac.jpg>
>
> So I thought it had to do with my right float. So I tried
> left-floating the right col, and here's the new result:
> <http://geranium.dyndns.org/cyclades/3/>
>
> But IE/Mac still does render the right col to the far side. I"ve
> looked into several resources listing IE5/Mac float bugs but they
> didn't help (most of them are listed at "CSS Bugs in IE5 for Mac",
> <http://macedition.com/cb/ie5macbugs/>).
>
> I suspect it would have somethng to do with the box model and
> something I'd have overlooked, so a fresh input would be welcome.
> Anybody has an idea as to how I could force IE/mac to display the
> expected result?

You hit a serious bug with IE Mac. As soon as a table cell contains
floated boxes, the browser expands that cell to whatever width it sees
fit.
I definitely should find time to write up something about it and add to
my list of IE bugs (see signature).

If you're into filtering, you can try to use display:inline-block
instead of float for IE mac (that browser has reasonably good support
for it.), coupled with some absolute positioning. But you better hide
that from other browsers.
I made a quick test file
<http://www.l-c-n.com/IE5tests/tests/table_float.html>

Philippe