[thelist] hotlinking, nice or nasty.. retaliation?

John C Bullas jcbullas at nildram.co.uk
Thu Oct 16 04:30:40 CDT 2003

Background

I get an email when someone screws up or I screw up and a 404 is generated
on the server

I keep getting the same 404 from a referring URL in NL

I Emailled the webmaster and got this reply....

>At 09:39 AM 16-10-03, Friends4All wrote:
>>Dear John,
>>
>>I investigated the 404 you've sent. One of our members is trying to hot-link
>>to a Kate Bush picture residing on your server. Unfortuntately he/she has
>>done this including a space in the end, so it results in a 404 in your logs.
>>Hot-linking to images on different servers is one of the features
>>Friends4All.nl offers in order to tell something about yourself, your life
>>or other interests.

So that's ok then is it?

He (webmaster) then let me know he had changed the members HTML
so that the image loaded ok instead of giving a 404!!!

What should I change the photo of Kate Bush to? <grin>

FB