[thelist] Developing for Multiple Platforms

rudy rudy937 at rogers.com
Thu Oct 16 06:08:37 CDT 2003

> What would you go with to offer a "complete package" for
> multiple platforms?  We initially thought of PHP, for the
> obvious compatibility and open source benefits.

obvious compatibility?

if i'm a CF or ASP or JSP or FooBar shop, i don't see how PHP is compatible

open source?

if i've got a staff of support technicians trained in CF or ASP or JSP or
FooBar, then it really doesn't matter that you can mess with the source code
of PHP, all i see is the expense of bringing more people on board to support
YAT (yet another technology)

if you're going to market a "complete package" you should offer separate
versions for each platform, not try to sell everybody the same one

rudy