[thelist] fairprice for overbandwidth

Tim Fountain tim at incutio.com
Thu Oct 16 12:26:06 CDT 2003

On Thursday, October 16, 2003, 5:02:52 PM, Andrew wrote:

>> I run a little personal website that went crazy this month when I
>> posted some pictures of a redsox/yankee fan riot outside my dorm
>> room. The whole university picked up on it, and so I ended up going
>> through close to 8 GB of transfer. My host is a friend, and I want
>> to pay him for the overbandwidth (it will be about 3 GB by the end
>> of the month). What is a fair amount to pay him for that extra
>> transfer?

> In the UK it can be anything from £10 to £30 per GB :(

Ouch!  Our prices (UK) are anything from 4-6 UKP per GB.

To answer the original question, why not ask your friend how much he
pays for bandwidth overage?   It seems silly to just pick a figure out
of the air :).  However I believe typical US charges are about 1-5
dollars per GB, depending where you are and the quality of your host.

--
Tim Fountain | Web developer | Incutio Limited | www.incutio.com
tim at incutio.com | Tel: +44(0)8708 700 333 | Fax: +44(0)7092 181 581