[thelist] Developing for Multiple Platforms

Ken Schaefer ken at adOpenStatic.com
Sat Oct 18 05:22:33 CDT 2003

You really need to lok at your target market, not the whole world.

Is this the type of app that lots of people run on their intranets? Then
anything that works with IIS will be a lot more useful than if your main
customers are people who have hosted plans at $10/month (since they
typically aren't on IIS). Alternatively, if most of your customers are
running their own servers and that happens to be Apache, then you're
probably looking at PHP, or Perl.

If your clients do have Win/IIS, then ASP.Net will probably be your best bet
going forward.

Cheers
Ken

Microsoft MVP - Windows Server (IIS)

From: "Mike Roberto" <evolt at shriek.net>
Subject: Re: [thelist] Developing for Multiple Platforms

: I must not have explained myself well enough.  Let me try to clarify.
:
: I have several web apps which have been built in CF.  In the future we can
: see the benefit of having these apps available in other languages.  The
: benefits of simply plugging in our app with a client's web platform is a
big
: plus, and a nice selling point for that matter.  Although CF does run on
: multiple platforms, the cost of an open source solution versus CF is a big
: plus.
:
: What languages should we develop these apps in to then offer our product
on
: the most number of platforms.  We're not looking to re-build these apps in
: ASP, PHP, PERL, JSP, and every other language out there.  We would like to
: make a choice based on the fewest languages which would fit the majority
of
: web server setups.
:
: We initially thought of PHP.  It runs on windows and unix and its free.
: How does PHP compare to CF in terms of web development?  What languages
: would you recommend if you were going to build a web app for multiple
: platforms?
:
: Mike
: