[thelist] Design vs. development

J. Anthony Peth jpeth at mac.com
Sat Oct 18 13:43:33 CDT 2003

I have had a very short life as a student in web design and on this list, so
please excuse me if I am out of line or using incorrect terminology.

Regardless, I have noticed couple of things since subscribing to this list:

"Designers" on this list very often struggle with scripting and programming.
I personally am quite clueless. Similarly, the "developers" on this list,
often the ones who are most outspoken "web experts," seem to be clueless in
the principles of good design.

It seems like there is a gap between designers and developers that leads to
poor communication on this list, which seems to reflect the field.

It also seems that so few websites successfully combine principles of good
design with CSS and JavaScript, let alone advanced programming.

Are most people in the field aware of this? If so, why do they ignore the
problem? For those who are aware of this problem, where do we turn?

My instructors at school say that the role of the freelancer is dieing, and
that working in a group in teams is the only way to go.

What are the views of the users on this list? What are some solutions? Is
there a good way for a freelance designer to find a freelance developer to
collaborate on projects and vice versa? How does it work?

Thanks for your help.

Tony
--
J. Anthony Peth