[thelist] Design vs. development

Stewart & Company contact at stewartandcompany.net
Sat Oct 18 15:25:58 CDT 2003

Hi Anthony,

I'm new to the list, but definitely not new to graphics & web design so
here is my humble 2 cents.

There are two classes of people in this world.  Science backs it up that
there are left brained and right brained individuals (if you don't know
what I mean, google for it).  Every once and a while there comes a
person who is skilled in both areas.

As a graphics designer, I have problems working with coding sometimes
because I just don't grasp it naturally.  Although I have a firm
understanding of PHP, Perl, and JavaScript, etc., I will be the first to
admit that my coding lacks in many ways.

However, my talents lie elsewhere.  This is the key, Anthony, to
surviving as freelance and self-employed.  As a successful graphic
artist, my designs beat most "developers" I know and is very competitive
with fellow "designers".  But, the developers slaughter me when it comes
to coding.  Can each "class" do both?  Sure.  Can each class excel at
both?  Not likely.

Each "class" trip themselves up when they stand convinced that they can
do something well, that they can't do.  I have heard many developers
brag on a design that they should be ashamed of.  That is why
collaboration is essential.  As a freelancer, I have to learn when to
contract a project out and when to keep it for myself.

The day of the 17 year old soloist is over.

HTH,
Will Stewart