[thelist] http://www.ime.org.uk/ Peer(?) Review called for..

John C Bullas jcbullas at nildram.co.uk
Sun Oct 19 12:33:22 CDT 2003

Fellows....

I added the "?" in the subject line as I don't consider myself a
professional coder/programmer whatever
and "peer" implies some equal level of skill to "real" people doing this
for a living...

Preamble:

OK, several years of answers and questions that arose on 2 "lists"
minilist at yahoogroup.com and mini-list at autox.team.net left us with a wealth
of useful information on the greatest classic car of all time (probably)
the Austin/Rover/BL Mini... so we put it all together into a website called
the Internet Mini Encyclopedia (IME) http://www.ime.org.uk

Help!:

We try to keep it updated and use SSI to insert headers and footer into the
pages, a free external search engine (Atomz) to spider and index it ( and
provide a search box) and a little bit of perl to generate index pages
listing only the files we want people to see.
http://www.ime.org.uk/ime/e/e_indexer.ihtml .

http://www.ime.org.uk/ime/ .htaccess to fashion custom server generated
index listings occasionally too....

....and a 'lil' little bit of PHP to email us when a 404 occurs ( via
custom 404 page in .htaccess).

http://www.ime.org.uk/ime/thelistsentme_so_ignore_this_one

The site has moved twice as traffic and added functionality dictated and
redirects in .htaccess exist on the old servers to do PERMANENT redirects
when calls are made to old URLs.

a lot of people seem to get a lot of useful hints off this list ("thelist")
so here goes....

.........Using only CGI and SSI and "reshaping" of the CSS: how can we make
it better..??????

Please be gentle with me I am a researcher into the early life skid
resistance of negatively textured thin surfacing for a living and not a
webmaster, get too hostile and I'll start discussing,,,,,,,

Ljubiè P, Todorovski L, N. Lavraè N and Bullas J (2002): Time series
analysis of UK traffic accident data. In M. Bohanec, M. Gams, D. Mladenic,
M. Grobelnik (eds.). Proc. of multi-conference Information Society, 14-18
Oct. 2002, Ljubljana. J. Stefan Institute, pages 135-138.

Hope you all got that :)

Who's first?

John "Fatbloke" Bullas
http://www.boners.com/grub/381870.html