[thelist] Errors on site check after removal of pictures from remote server REPLY

John C Bullas jcbullas at nildram.co.uk
Sun Oct 19 12:52:54 CDT 2003

At 17:20 19/10/2003, Sylvia Braunstein wrote:
>Hi all,
>
>Some of my products are obsolete. In order to "remove them", I redirected
>the html pages to the home page but deleted the jgs and gifs from the remote
>server. The site check report gave me pages and pages of mistakes.

Check the site checker spiders your site each time you run it and doesn't
just grab an image of your site when prompted..... "clear cache"... can you
see that? get it to take a look at your "trimmed" site....

DELETION TIP: if you can use some PERMANENT redirect commands in .htaccess
so any search engines that have visited the now deleted pages will update
their records .. if it is worth it of course....

OR USE

Redirect permanent /
<http://www.social-ecology.org/>http://www.lalalalala.org/

in a directory if you want to send all calls to that directory somewhere
else and get the search engines updated.. great if you stopped selling
bazookas and all the bazookas were in the /bargainbazookas/ directory

OR

Just leave each page there and edit the content down to

Product Removed click here for lalalalalalalla <hyperlink>

Adding a noindex metatag on the top and a redirect metatag for stupid
viewers to send them to your index page or to wire-guided anti-tank weapons
if you stopped selling bazookas

OR

pull the pages and just have a custom 404 page that will route any
"callers" to your homepage AND tell them bazookas bandanas and  banjos are
NLA :)... set this up right and you can remove pages as you like?

This 404 page will also serve to de-stress anyone who can't spell bazooka
and misses a manually typed in URL OR hits a wrongly  entered hyperlink on
another site

I AM SURE there are more complex ways to compare the missing URL called
against a regexp and redirect it accordingly, the route I describe is
longhand but you only need one "item removed page" you can do SAVE AS for
each removed page from this template.

RE the size of pages, without images the item deleted pages will take up
very little space.

FB