[thelist] To the lions of the web a humble request....(site test)

Chris Johnston chris at fuzzylizard.com
Mon Oct 20 18:15:39 CDT 2003

Natalya Hucek wrote:

> Dearests!
>
> I am so very new to the web page creation that I am sure I am making a
> fool of myself right now with total ignorance of basic facts.  I beg
> you not to judge too strongly -- and have a pity for the beginner... I
> promise I will never get as good as you guys are -- I am just helping
> my husband and having fun :)
>
> I will appreciate any remarks, critique, tips - with gratitude!
> Question 1:  when link is clicked it gets an ugly border - tiny bluish
> hairline box around it -- I am sure there is a way to kill it -- how?
> Question 2: when I try to validate the page, the report is very ugly
> -- starts with smth like that "META tags are unexpected here", then it
> offers me to make all kinds of changes I do not want (insert ALT for
> every pict, or not to use <p> element in my menu icon floating boxes)
> -- what is my mistake(s)? Thank you very much in advance, sorry for
> taking your time,

Nice looking little site. Personally I would centre all the elements on
the page, but that may be just personal opinion. As for the page not
validating -- try putting all the html in lowercase instead of
uppercase. This may seem like a very trivial thing, but it makes a huge
difference.

As for the design, I would never provide links for parts of a website
that are "under construction". If they are not done, then do not link to
them. Under Construction looks very amateurish.

Always see what the site will look like in different browsers.
Expecially when designing with lots of css. In the quote, the drop 'I'
and the 'n' do not line up in Opera on win2k.

 From a design perspective - the colours of the images at the bottom
clash with the nice subdued colour scheme of the quote. Perhaps you
could wash the images out and either have them as black and white or
just a hint of colour.

hope that helps,

chris